The Lee Elder Internship at the 2022 US Open in Brookline, MA
The Lee Elder Internship was established by The Country Club to introduce underrepresented individuals to the game of golf and showcase the game’s many career pathways. There are more than 2 million jobs across the $84 billion industry, and many of them play critical roles in preparing for and running a major event like the U.S. Open.
Through a week-long course held June 13-19, 2022 during the U.S. Open at The Country Club in Brookline, Mass., 25 interns will get behind the scenes and learn many facets of the business of golf from the men and women who lead these at the highest levels. Daily sessions will include firsthand information and insight about, among others, tournament operations, course maintenance and design, sales and marketing, media, and facility operations and management.
This unique program is named for one of golf’s true trailblazers. Elder was the first African American golfer to play in The Masters and the first African American member of a United States Ryder Cup team. In 2019, he became the first African American to receive the USGA’s highest honor, the Bob Jones Award that recognizes an individual who demonstrates Jones’s exemplary spirit, character and respect for the game.
Applicants do not need to have a background in or experience in golf.
[NOTE: Please let the SBS Office of Career & Professional Development know you plan to apply, and send us your materials first. We have an alum who can help move your application forward. firstname.lastname@example.org]
- Dates: June 13 – 19, 2022 (arrival: June 12; departure: June 20)
- Travel Expenses & Room & Board will be paid for by The Country Club.
- This is a paid 7-day internship.
- Applicants should be students enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree-seeking program at an accredited college or university.
- Application Period: November 15, 2021 – March 1, 2022
- Completed applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- The Selection Committee may conduct interviews with the final pool of candidates.
[NOTE: Please let the SBS Office of Career & Professional Development know you plan to apply, and send us your materials first. We have an alum who can help move your application forward! email@example.com] Click here for The Lee Elder Internship application.
For more information about other internships or employment opportunities at The Country Club, please visit: www.1882.org/careers.