How do I withdraw from a class?
The course withdrawal process is dependent upon the date you are trying to withdraw from a class.
- During the Add/Drop Period. You can drop classes on your own in SPIRE, with no record.
- After Add/Drop, but before the Last Day to Drop with a “W” (also known as the Midsemester Date): You can drop in SPIRE with a “W.”
- After the Last Day to Drop with a “W” you must petition the Academic Deans of your College. In SBS, Dean Jackie Brousseau-Pereira and Dean Vanessa Blais review late withdrawal petitions. You must follow this process to have your petition reviewed.
- Read the SBS Late Course Withdrawal Petition form below to understand acceptable grounds for a later withdrawal.
- Complete the SBS Late Course Withdrawal Petition form below, as well as a course change request form
- Include proper documentation
- The form below will be automatically emailed. The Course Change Request form should be emailed to email@example.com.
- After your paperwork is received, you will be contacted to schedule an appointment with one of the deans.
**The UMass Amherst Academic Calendar show dates for Add/Drop, the Last Day to Drop with a “W” (or Midsemester Date), and other important academic dates and deadlines.
** Dropping below full-time status (12 credits in Fall/Sping) could result in a reduction in your financial aid. Students on an international VISA or students with NCAA status must remain full-time.
** If you want to withdrawal from all your class, please visit the Dean of Students Office for information on the University Withdrawal process.