Altman Solon Data Analyst Co-op
Altman Solon is a 300-person strategy consulting group that focuses exclusively on the telecommunications, media and technology (TMT) related sectors. As the largest global TMT strategy firm, we assist clients in fast, high-impact, confident decision making. We enable clients to seize new opportunities, improve performance, and increase shareholder value within complex and converging industries.
Trusted Leader with Industry Expertise and Innovative Approaches
· As the leading pure play communications and media strategy consulting group globally, we assist operating companies and financial groups in fast, high-impact, confident decision making
· Deep industry knowledge and advanced analytics allow us to develop more actionable insights and recommendations, delivering better advice, more quickly – we succeed in building long-term client relationships because of the results we deliver
· Altman Solon’s industry focus and shorter average project duration allow employees to quickly gain exposure to a breadth of projects and develop an expertise in TMT along with a sophisticated consulting toolkit
Growing Firm with an Entrepreneurial Spirit & Inclusive Culture
· The size of our organization allows our employees to constantly experience new challenges and growth opportunities while building relationships with senior Altman Solon team members who are recognized experts in their field
· We realize work/life fit is important to our staff. Our default schedule is a low-travel model, accelerating our staff‘s professional growth and helping them build meaningful relationships with peers and mentors. Eligible employees can design their own or choose from an array of flexible work programs, such as reduced work year, sabbaticals, internal rotations, and extended parental leave.
Flat Teams, Collaborative Philosophy, Personalized Support
· We offer staff strategic projects and client interaction at an earlier stage than generalist consulting firms, with opportunities to truly own a piece of work from start to finish
· Our small size, collaborative culture, and tailored approach to learning and development results in faster role advancement and professional growth throughout your career with us
As a Data Analyst at Altman Solon, you will gain exposure to strategy consulting. The Co-op program begins in the Winter (February 2022) and has a flexible end date (typically lasting 3-4 months), and is based in the Boston, MA office. While the specific role will vary from project to project, responsibilities include:
· Convert complex business logic into SQL queries across our multiple internal databases as well as client databases we are staffed to work on
· Build and maintain datasets for consulting teams by pulling together disparate data sources
· Identify and report potential data quality issues
· Collaborate with Analysts and Data Scientists to effectively tie the data insights to client questions
· Work with big data technologies including Redshift, Apache Hadoop, Hive, Teradata, Spark, and BigQuery
· Use tools like Tableau, Python Jupyter Notebooks, and ArcGIS to create advanced visualizations including complex geospatial maps and interactive dashboards
The Data Analyst role is open to undergraduate students who have completed at least three years of the program, as well as masters students who have completed one year of the masters program.
We are looking for:
Problem solvers with analytical minds and strong communication skills
· Motivated to use strong quantitative and analytical skills to solve problems in dynamic industries that require innovative solutions
· Strong academic record
· Pursuing a degree in a related field (Computer Science, Math, Statistics, Economics, MIS or related IT/Engineering field preferred)
· Experience working with programming languages (SQL, Python, R preferred)
· Ability to translate complex problems into structured, manageable concepts and approaches
· Ability to effectively communicate complex ideas and concepts via verbal, written, and visual means
Team players with a commitment to producing outstanding work
· Enjoy working with teams and working independently as required
· Dedication to producing high-quality output with integrity and exceptional attention to detail
· Excited about the prospect of contributing to internal firm life and culture
· Passion for learning and interest in TMT industry, with ability to absorb information quickly and effectively and a growth mindset
*Cover letter is NOT required to apply*
Please note that we are unable to consider applicants who now or in the future require sponsorship for work visa status (e.g. F (OPT), H-1B).
We believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion are key principles for the successful operation of any business, and especially ours. We are committed to ensuring that all employees, at all levels, feel supported, feel a sense of belonging, and are equally invested in the success of our shared work. This starts with ensuring that we draw the most talented people from all backgrounds. If your access to educational or extracurricular opportunities has been impacted by factors you would like to make us aware of, please include this information in your cover letter (although a cover letter is not required).
Altman Solon is an Equal Opportunity Employer and E-Verify user. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or other protected status.