A Scientific Project Manager position is available within the Center for Data and
Computational Sciences (C-DACS) located in Boston. C-DACS was established by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Office of Research and Development (VA ORD) to provide long-term support for VA programs in Enterprise Data Science and Genomic medicine. C-DACS not only curates and maintains genomic and clinical health data, but also provides an analytical platform with high-performance computing and data systems for managing VA national program resources and cross-agency initiatives, including the Million Veterans Program (MVP) and multi-site Cooperative Studies Program (CSP) clinical trials. The C-DACS staff consists of individuals with specialized skills like biostatistics, computational biology, data sciences, software engineering, clinical informatics, bioinformatics, and program management who work in teams to build the data systems that will enable lowering the barriers for performing VA-approved research in the field of genomics and personalized medicine.
We are seeking a scientific project manager with an emphasis in managing research data projects. The prospective candidate will be interfacing with data operations, software development and project management groups within the department and as well as stakeholders across the organization.
This position is remote eligible. The primary job functions of the scientific project manager include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Develop and maintain research project plans, outlining tasks, milestone, status, dates, etc.
· Responsible for clearly defining each task and feasible deadlines for each milestone and deliverable
· Ability to handle change in requirements and adjust the project plan by working with resources
· Create technical documentation and reports as needed
· Keep projects on track for successful completion within reasonable time
· Superior communication skills
· Contribute ideas to the design of new systems and tools
· Improve and enhance existing systems and tools
· Work with the business owners to define requirements, develop solutions, arrive at the designs, and execute the implementations
· Troubleshoot issues and support the operation of production software and tools
· Author and maintain technical documentation
· Master’s degree in the sciences or a health-related field, such as Public Health, Health Informatics, Epidemiology, etc.
· Experience in fundamentals of project management principles
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills are a must
· Self-motivated: setting and achieving goals with little supervision
· Dependable: following through tasks assigned with consistency
· Team-oriented: easy to collaborate and willing to help others
· A commitment to public service and Veteran health
· US Citizen
· Experience working in a scientific research environment and handling clinical and/or research data
· Master’s degree in Information Systems or Bioinformatics is a plus
· 2+ years of experience in defining requirements, testing or support of software is a plus
· 2+ years of experience with multi-site clinical trial management is a plus