The Chinese Progressive Association (CPA) is a grassroots community organization, which works for full equality and empowerment of the Chinese community in Greater Boston and beyond, to improve living and working standards, and to involve ordinary people in decision-making.
The Lead Organizer will lead campaigns and other organizing staff in helping community members strengthen their voice in stabilizing the community’s future by conducting community outreach; providing targeted services; supporting resident, voter and worker organizing; developing new leadership; helping community members learn about collective action, strategy development, policy; and facilitating a two- way link between basebuilding and local/regional movement building
- Lead process of developing and implementing campaign strategies
- Help residents, workers, and voters learn about and take action for their rights
- Conduct outreach and develop grassroots involvement in collective campaigns
- Support immigrant worker organizing around job access and labor standards
- Work with existing resident and voter activists on agenda/platform development
- Support the development of resident groups and the leadership role of new activists and staff
- Educate community members about policy-making systems and strategy development
- Develop coalitions within and outside of the Chinese American community
- Provide targeted services
- Organize educational workshops and activities
- Support other organizational work/activities and connect community members to these areas
Several years of community and/or labor organizing experience • Experience leading grassroots campaigns and working in coalitions • Committed to grassroots empowerment and social change • Strong communication, listening, and facilitation skills, writing or media skills a plus • Self-starting and a team player • Bilingual Chinese (Cantonese or Mandarin)/English, additional languages and dialects a plus • Familiarity with Boston politics and/or labor movement a plus
$55,000 – $60,000 depending on experience. Benefits include health, dental, life insurance, 403b, generous holiday/vacation time.
Chinese Progressive Association, 28 Ash Street , Boston MA 02111