The Community Development Department (CDD) is the planning agency for the City of Cambridge. Zoning and Development staff manage many aspects of planning for land use and urban development, including:
- Review of major development projects by the Planning Board and other committees
- Undertaking land use planning studies and special initiatives
- Advising the City Council and Planning Board when considering amendments to the zoning ordinance
- Advising other City departments on matters related to zoning and development
- Providing information to the public, including residents, property owners, businesses, developers, and design professionals
This position is a valuable opportunity for individuals interested in planning, architecture, or real estate to gain first-hand experience in development review and planning in a very active planning office, working directly with senior planning staff. More information at http://www.cambridgema.gov/CDD/zoninganddevelopment
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Specific activities of the Zoning and Development Intern would include:
- Assisting in review of design and development proposals and other zoning-related initiatives
- Providing staff support for Planning Board meetings (held most Tuesday evenings), occasional City Council hearings, community meetings, and in-house review meetings
- Assisting in preparing meeting materials and presentations for Planning Board and City Council
- Organizing and processing information to be made available to the public on the CDD web site
- Researching, analyzing, and summarizing zoning practices and precedents in other municipalities
- Assisting the public in managing zoning and development related inquiries, as needed.
- Additional projects may be identified based on the applicant’s skills and interests and the division’s needs
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Qualified candidates would possess:
· Academic or professional experience in urban planning, with a focus on land use and development, urban design, zoning, architecture, or real estate
· Overall computer proficiency including general office applications (Microsoft Office suite) and advanced applications (e.g., Adobe Acrobat)
· Ability to communicate with a diverse range of Department staff and other City employees in a courteous and professional manner
· High level of motivation and detail-oriented skills
· Ability to prioritize workloads, multitask, and meet deadlines while working with a broad range of individuals in a fast-paced environment
· The City of Cambridge’s workforce, like the community it serves, is diverse. Applicants must have the ability to work and interact effectively with individuals and groups with a variety of identities, cultures, backgrounds, and ideologies
Desired Skills and Interests
An ideal candidate would possess:
· Experience with CMS-based web sites (e.g., SiteCore) and document processing for online posting
· Previous experience working in an office environment; experience in the public sector is a plus
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Standard office environment. Fluorescent lighting and air conditioning. Moderate noise level.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Ability to access, input, and retrieve information from a computer. Answer telephones and maintain multiple files. May require minimal lifting of up to 10 pounds.
RATE: $16.65/ hour
HOURS OF WORK: 15-19 hours / week (hours are flexible, with additional hours possible during summer); may need to attend Tuesday evening meetings.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Submit both your resume and cover letter via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to the Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Resume and cover letter requested by 08/05/21. Position will remain open until filled. We are an AA/EEO Employer.