Please apply on our website not on handshake.
Location: City Hall, Portsmouth, NH 03801
Department: City Hall
Job Status: Part-Time
Days Worked: Mon., Tue., Wed., Thu., Fri.
Hour Per Week: 18.75
Details: Salary is 1386B Grade 7 Step A $20.42
The part time Administrative Clerk performs clerical work for the Inspection and Planning Departments including but not limited to: answering telephone and email inquiries, in person assistance to customers, processing permit and application fees, maintaining filing systems, preparing a variety of written correspondence, preparing and mailing legal notices, and scheduling meetings and inspections. The position will be shared equally between the Planning and Inspections Departments and requires close coordination with staff from both departments. This work is subject to review according to the City’s personnel plan through observation, reports and the results achieved.
Incumbent works under the supervision of the Inspection Department’s Office Manager and the Planning Department’s Administrative Assistant. Incumbent plans and carries out daily work with a degree of independence, in accordance with standard office practices and procedures, the rules and regulations governing the operations of the department, and previous training. Incumbent must be able to recognize inquiries of a technical nature and refer them to the appropriate staff person. The supervisors review reports and correspondence for accuracy and final approval. The incumbent must be familiar with and observe office procedures, city laws, rules and regulations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Answers phones, responds to voicemail messages, and schedules inspections, appointments and meetings for department staff.
2. Responds appropriately to inquiries and/or complaints from the public in a timely and courteous manner.
3. Help manage and process building permits, land use applications, and collects all fees related to each.
4. Frequently collaborates with other city departments, vendors, and outside agencies to ensure timely communication to and from the Inspections and Planning departments on issues, projects, and outstanding items.
5. Maintains department files and electronic records and tracks file locations.
6. Provides meeting and inspections scheduling.
7. Assists in the preparation of legal notices and mailings.
8. Performs other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES –
1. Strong skills in the use and application of office and data processing equipment, business mathematics, and business correspondence.
2. Proficiency in planning, completing and reviewing finished work products for thoroughness and accuracy.
3. An ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, subordinates and superiors, employees in other municipal departments, city officials and customers.
4. Proficiency in dealing with the public in a courteous and professional manor.
5. An ability to communicate easily and appropriately with the general public, City staff, and government officials at all levels and maintain an understanding of racial equity, inclusion, and belonging.
6. An ability understand customer inquiries which are often ambiguous, interpret what is being asked, develop a correct response or direct the customer to appropriate staff.
7. An ability to maintain confidential information.
8. An ability to plan work and complete assignments with minimal supervision.
9. Manage multiple tasks efficiently within timeframes and deadlines, despite interruptions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE – An Associate’s degree in Business Administration or related field is preferred. A candidate for this position should have two (2) years of experience in a similar position; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.