The City of Wheaton is hiring Summer Laborers to work at our Public Works Department! As a Summer Laborer, you will learn new skills working in various departments such as; Facilities, Forestry/Parks and Grounds, Streets, Signs, Water and Sewer. This is an excellent opportunity for those who enjoy staying busy and working outdoors. Come see what it takes to keep the City going from a behind-the-scenes perspective!
Schedule and Hours:
The standard hours for this position are M – F from 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., 40 hours/week. Scheduled time off for vacations, etc. is allowed with supervisor approval. Employment start and end dates are flexible per candidate’s availability.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Including, but not limited to:
- Assist crews with various projects requiring use of assorted hand and power tools, mowers, utility trucks, etc.
- Perform maintenance and minor repairs to City buildings and equipment.
- Collect refuse, sweep and maintain cleanliness of parks, garages and facilities.
- Maintain and paint City property such as fire hydrants, etc.
- Work with crews to perform maintenance and repairs on City streets, sidewalks, traffic signs, parkways, landscaping and water distribution and sewer systems.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age at time of hire.
- Must have a current and valid Driver’s License with a clean driving record.
- The ability to work independently with little to no supervision, as well as the ability to work productively and cooperatively as part of a team.
- Enjoy working outdoors and be able to work in various weather conditions.
- Safely operate motor vehicles, hand and power tools and other forms of equipment at all times.
- Lift up to 50 lbs.
The starting rate of pay for this position is $11.00 per hour.