Join forces with Washington’s preeminent organization dedicated to advancing strategic cooperation among the world’s democracies.
HFX is an independent, non-profit, non-partisan organization best known for its annual Halifax International Security Forum. In addition to the flagship November Forum that brings the democratic world’s security leaders to Halifax, Canada, other programs include the Peace With Women Fellowship and the John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service.
This year-long internship will provide exposure to international security issues and the opportunity to gain firsthand experience in the daily operation of a dynamic and expanding international security and foreign policy organization. Interns play a vital role in preparing for the organization’s signature annual conference and also have the opportunity to contribute to HFX’s overall mission.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The HFX Intern, International Relations Participant Manager is responsible representing the organization to global security. This includes:
● Researching potential conference participants and speakers;
● Sending and tracking invitations to the annual conference;
● Serving as the main point of contact for international military leaders, diplomats, donors, and other conference participants;
● Updating and maintaining internal database using Salesforce;
● Assisting in social media management including Twitter and Facebook;
● Aiding in website maintenance;
● Following current events relevant to the international security agenda;
● Providing research support; and
● Supporting other team members in their various functions.
This year-long internship will begin in June 2021 and continue through June 2022, with the possibility of accompanying staff to the annual Forum. Applicants should be available for a full-time schedule Monday-Friday from 9:00am-6:00pm.
Please note: This internship is based at HFX’s Dupont Circle, Washington, DC headquarters. However, in response to the pandemic, HFX is teleworking for the duration. The person hired for this internship must be willing to relocate to the Washington, DC area by the time normal in-office work resumes.
● Bachelor’s degree is required. Advanced degree in a relevant field is preferred.
● Excellent writing and editing skills are required.
● Previous experience with website and social media management are preferred.
● Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail are required.
● Enthusiastic commitment to HFX’s mission is required.
Start Date: June 1, 2021
End Date: May 31, 2022
Hours per week: A full-time schedule
Compensation: $2,400 stipend per month
How to apply
Please submit one PDF including a cover letter, resume, 1-2 references and a 1-2 page writing sample by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Enter “International Relations Internship” in the subject line. Only complete applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Please note that preference will be shown to applications submitted on or before March 31, 2021.
Job Type: Internship