LEAP Emerge: Summer Internship Program is an eight-week paid summer internship program designed to develop emerging young leaders by providing college students with practical leadership skills and the opportunity to work virtually in a community-based organization serving the Asian and Pacific Islander Community. Nationally recognized trainers are recruited to deliver workshops in critical skill areas. Issue discussions are on local or timely topics of interest and are facilitated by local community leaders/activists and LEAP trainers.
WHAT WILL I DO?
- Participate in professional and personal development centered around leadership, Asian and Pacific Islander (API) culture, values, and community
- Explore Issues affecting Asians and Pacific Islanders
- Gain work experience at an API-serving nonprofit organization
- Impact the community through a group project
- Network with individuals committed to the greater API community
HOW IS THE PROGRAM STRUCTURED?
- Intern four days a week at an assigned nonprofit organization
- Convene one day a week for professional development
- Work on a group community impact project throughout the 8-week program
PROGRAM LENGTH AND STIPEND
The eight-week program runs from June 12 through August 4, 2023. Interns will be compensated at $17 per hour for successful completion of the program.
WHO SHOULD APPLY
College students or recent graduates with:
- A passion for learning and developing leadership skills
- An interest in gaining work experience in a nonprofit organization
- Knowledge or experience working in collaboration with the API community (Preferred but not necessary)
Applicants must have completed two years of college by June 12, 2023, be currently enrolled in college, or be a recent graduate (earliest as of December 2022).
All applicants must be able to complete the full eight-week program and attend the following mandatory events:
- LEAP Welcome Week (In-Person in Los Angeles, California): June 12-16, 2023
- LEAP Leadership Training (Virtual): June 23, June 30, July 7, July 14, July 28
- LEAP Awards Gala/Graduation (Virtual): August 4, 2023
Applicants will be evaluated based on the following criteria
- Passion for learning
- Interest in the nonprofit sector
- Demonstrated leadership
- Community service
- Interpersonal skills
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Maturity and professional demeanor
- Grade point average
HOW TO APPLY
1. Click the Apply button at the top of this posting and be redirected to our external application. Please fill out both the Handshake prompts and the ones on our website.
2. Submit the following supporting documents:
- Two letters of recommendation
- Current resume
- Personal Statement (4 Questions) – Find on Application.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: March 30, 2023
For more information on the internship, please visit https://www.leap.org/emerge
For more information on LEAP, please visit http://www.leap.org