Democratic State Senator seeks Legislative/ Constituent Services Aide
Candidate will serve as liaison between the legislative office and constituents, as well as local and state agencies on various constituent and policy related matters; strong written and oral communications skills a must. Candidate must be self-motivated, have the ability to multi-task, posses sound judgment and ability to handle sensitive and complex issues. Flexibility and strong work ethic required.
The responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Serve as the primary point person in the office for all constituent service casework, coordinating with liaisons in relevant local, state and federal agencies, using appropriate resources to provide effective resolution to constituent problems.
- Respond to constituent emails, letters, and phone calls. Draft and generate official responses. Ensure that all constituent inquiries and concerns are responded to in a timely manner.
- Assist in the daily operation of the legislative office by answering telephones, greeting visitors, preparing citations and drafting resolutions in recognition of constituent achievements.
- Meet with constituents on behalf of the Senator.
- Research and track legislation through the LAWS system. Advise the Senator on legislative items that generate high amounts of constituent interest.
- Meet with constituents, community leaders, and advocates on legislative matters.
- Prepare written testimony, attend public hearings and briefings
- Staff the Senator as necessary at various State House and public events
- Poses a general knowledge of the state budget process and the budget as it pertains to the Senator’s and district’s priorities
- Handle special projects as assigned by the Senator and Chief of Staff
- Coordinate meetings both in the State House and in the district with various constituent groups, local, state and federal officials as required
- Attend meetings in the district as necessary
- Other duties and projects as assigned
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Strong telephone skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to exercise discretion
- Must able to work independently as well as collaborate with office staff to produce quality work in a fast-paced environment
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to research complex policy issues
- Thoroughness and careful attention to detail
- Ability to communicate with a variety of personalities in a tactful, pleasant, and professional manner
- Ability to work extended hours and weekend days on occasion when required.
- Must have transportation
- Thorough knowledge of office administration, policies, practices, and procedures
- Thorough knowledge of office equipment and computer applications.
Bachelor’s degree required. Ability to speak Portuguese and/or Spanish a plus
Send cover letter, resume, and writing sample to email@example.com by May 30, 2021