NLSC, a Department of Defense (DoD) program administered by the Defense Language and National Security Education Office (DLNSEO), is looking for Pidgin Sign Language candidates. Other language professionals are welcome to apply.
When you join the NLSC, you become a member of America’s premier community of language volunteers, who connect, share, and grow through networking, training, and testing opportunities. When a critical language need arises, the NLSC taps its members to support Federal agencies through translation, interpretation, instruction, and cultural advising. Please note that being an NLSC member does not guarantee that you will be selected to serve on voluntary, short-term and occasional language assignments.
To become an NLSC member, you must:
- Be a U.S. citizen;
- Be over the age of 18;
- Have a general professional proficiency in English and another language(s);
- Male applicants must have registered for selective service.
Reasons to Join the NLSC:
1. Network with peers.With nearly 11,000 members, you can meet others who speak your language or who may work in your dream job or field.
2. Grow your language skills.Hone your existing language skills or work to pick up a new language using our free online learning tools and training courses.
3. Volunteer for your country.You may be invited to serve our country by providing occasional volunteer language support to Federal Government agencies.
4. Validate your language skills.Validate your language skills with the Defense Language Proficiency Test or the Oral Proficiency Interview, two of the most widely recognized proficiency testsoffered by the U.S. Government.
5. Enjoy interesting speakers and events.From language sustainment to emergency preparedness training, there’s always something new to learn and discuss.
Please feel free to share this email with other prospective members and follow us on our social media platforms. Let me know if you have any questions about the NLSC and/or the application process.
Thank you for your time, and I look forward to working with you!