Division of Criminal Justice
Public Integrity Bureau- New York City
Reference No. PIB_NYC_PUGS_SUM 2023
Application Deadline is April 14, 2023*
2023 Paid Summer Placement for Undergraduate Students
The New York State Office of the Attorney General’s Public Integrity Bureau is seeking a bright, hard-working and motivated undergraduate student with a genuine interest in public service for a paid summer placement.
The selected student will assist attorneys and legal support staff with investigations and litigation. Assignments will include, but not be limited to the following:
· Reviewing and organizing documents and evidence;
· Participating in witness interviews and inter-agency meetings;
· Identifying and locating potential sources of relevant information;
· Analyzing data;
· Organizing case files and providing legal and office support;
· Tracking news sources and articles related to cases;
· Performing research tasks; and
· Utilizing law enforcement databases to further cases.
Applicants must have exceptional attention to detail, as well as excellent writing, communication and organizational skills. Proficiency with Word and Excel is preferred. Interest in criminal litigation and investigations is also preferred.
Summer Program Details
· The format of this placement is hybrid. The selected student may report to their designated workstation two or three (2-3) days per week. On the days student will be working remotely, they will need to have access to a reliable computer, a secure internet connection, a phone and a sufficiently quiet and private workspace to telework.
· To be eligible for a paid summer placement, applicants must be able to demonstrate they are full-time students in good academic standing as defined by their schools. Applications from students who will be starting college/university during the fall 2023 semester will not be considered.
· Undergraduate students hired for the program will work full-time (37.5 hours/week) for the 8 weeks of the program. The program will run from June 5 – July 28, 2023. Students hired for the program must be available to work during these dates and for the entire 8 weeks of the program.
· Applications will be received online until April 14, 2023, and paid placement offers will be made on a rolling basis.*
· Undergraduate students will be hired as student assistants and paid the hourly rate of $16.24.
· Applicants must be available to meet by video conference for interviews.
· U.S. citizenship and New York State residency are not required, but applicants must be eligible to be employed in the U.S.
HOW TO APPLY
The following section provides detailed information about the application process and application requirements. Please review the complete list of instructions prior to preparing and submitting your application materials online.
· Applications for summer placements are being received online. To apply, please click on the following link: PIB_NYC_PUGS_SUM 2023
· Please apply to no more than three (3) bureaus/regional offices.
· Applications are submitted separately for each bureau/regional office, and an applicant’s candidacy for each application is determined separately by each bureau/regional office.
· The application deadline is April 14, 2023, but please be advised paid placements will be filled on a rolling basis.
· The following four (4) documents are required for each application that is submitted:
1. Cover Letter
– You may choose to address to the Legal Recruitment Unit, 28 Liberty Street, New York, NY, 10005.
– Indicate why you are interested in a placement with the OAG and what makes you a strong candidate.
– Ensure your resume is complete and current prior to submitting your application.
3. List of three (3) references.
– Submit only professional (i.e., supervisor or professor) references.
– Indicate the nature and duration of your relationship to each reference.
– Include contact information and email addresses for each reference.
– Please note, your references will not be contacted until after you interview for the placement.
4. Writing Sample
– Select a sample from an assignment you prepared for school that demonstrates your ability to analyze and organize information into an effective document.
– We recommend submitting a sample that is 5-10 pages in length.
· Failure to submit a complete application will delay the consideration of your candidacy.
· Please submit your application for a summer placement at least three (3) weeks prior to any deadlines that could impact your candidacy and note this in your cover letter.
· Please allow at least three (3) weeks for your application to be processed and reviewed by the hiring bureau/regional office. You may submit an application status request by clicking here.
If you have questions about a placement with the OAG, the application process or need assistance with submitting your application, please contact Legal Recruitment via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.