Rolling start and termination dates
Basic Community Hospital Physician Mentor Volunteer Roles
Compañeros En Salud (CES) is an affiliate of Partners In Health in Chiapas, Mexico. The organization’s mission is to build a primary health care model of excellence in rural Mexico. To learn more about the organization and its mission, as well as the location and living conditions of our site please visithttp://www.companerosensalud.mx. The PIH website offers additional context at: www.pih.org.
CES strives to create volunteer positions that serve the organization’s mission and priorities as well as provide a substantive learning experience. The volunteer roles are based in Chiapas, Mexico, and contribute to key service and research functions of the organization.
These roles are ideal for a recent college graduate exploring global health, medical or graduate student taking a gap year, or a mid-career professional interested in exploring a global health career. The volunteer roles are not clinical in nature.
All applicants should have high proficiency in Spanish, and be able to confidently carry out work conversations exclusively in Spanish. CES also looks for applicants who have a demonstrated ability to adapt to rural conditions, such as candidates who have lived in a resource-poor or rural area previously or who have participated in wilderness or camping activities.
Support to Volunteer
CES is able in most cases to provide housing and any work-related transport once on site. CES is NOT able to defray the cost of flights to Chiapas or to provide stipends to volunteers. If you plan to apply for travel or financial support from your university, workplace, or another institution, we will collaborate with you by providing any necessary letters or site paperwork.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Please include any time constraints related to fellowship applications in your application.
Partners In Health (PIH) is an international health organization relentlessly committed to improving the health of the poor and marginalized. PIH partners with local governments to build local capacity and works closely with impoverished communities to deliver high-quality health care, address the root causes of illness, train providers, advance research, and advocate for global policy change.
PIH currently has implementation programs in Haiti, Rwanda, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Peru, Mexico, Russia, Sierra Leone and Navajo Nation. Through our partnership with Harvard Medical School and the Brigham and Women’s Hospital, we support a wide range of programs in dozens of other countries around the world.
Position: Basic Community Hospital Physician Mentor (Volunteer)
Reports to: Compañeros En Salud Director
Location: Chiapas, Mexico
Compañeros En Salud seeks medical residents and attendings for rotations of 3 weeks or more. Physician Mentor Volunteers will assist in training Mexican social service year physicians and general physicians at the small, local community hospital. The goal of this service is to help improve the relationship and team work between the CES Team and local hospital staff, to stimulate a positive environment, and – most importantly – to inspire patient centered practice of the highest quality possible.
Overall responsibilities: Physician Mentors are assigned to general physicians or social service year physicians daily to provide bedside teaching. Any direct care must be signed for by the CES Hospital Coordinator, the CES Gynecologist, or the Hospital Director.
- Provide one-on-one bedside teaching for social service year physicians and local general physicians.
- Review exam and diagnostic skills and discuss treatment regimens for a wide range of care issues, with a special focus on one’s area of expertise.
- Reinforce CES clinical algorithms for diagnosis and treatment
- Where appropriate/desired, include nurses in these teaching discussions.
- Where scheduling permits, provide group instruction at monthly courses at the CES office.
- Note potential areas for quality improvement; propose and discuss solutions with the CES team, and Participate in QI projects as desired.
- Attending or senior-level resident in Emergency, Family, Medicine, Med/Peds, OB/GYN, Pediatrics, Surgery, or Primary Care
- High level of Spanish comprehension and speaking proficiency; preferably with experience using Spanish in a clinical setting
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to working in a resource poor or rural setting
- Demonstrated commitment to service, i.e. community projects, global health projects or long-term volunteering
- Exemplary interpersonal skills; ability to collaborate effectively with culturally diverse staff across departments and country and to facilitate team building
- Interest in social justice strongly desirable
- Interest in teaching
- Team building, negotiation and management skills
- Surgical skills and willingness to assist in the OR desired but not required
- Skills permitting – willingness to assist CES Gynecologist in patient management, assist in giving consults and attending births.
- Independent work ethic – may not always have direct supervision by CES Program Staff
- Availability for a minimum of 3 weeks, unpaid rotation
Partners In Health is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.