Is your community in danger
of becoming a news desert?
Has your town already become one?
Who will save local news?
Why not you?
Pitch yourself and your town here: https://www.we-are-patch.com/community-publisher-initiative/
Local news is suffering nationwide. Together, we can fix that. Think you can cover your hometown better than the dying local paper? Become a Patch community publisher! Did your newspaper or news site recently undergo a round of layoffs? Become a Patch community publisher! Want to be your own boss without the headache of a pesky editor hounding you for a story? Become a Patch community publisher!
We give you the journalism, marketing and sales tools, as well as a playbook and training. You cover the meetings, write the features and shoot the photos. We give you a top-tier tech team dedicated to constantly improving one of America’s top 50 most-visited websites. You get the benefit of a professional, name-brand platform you don’t have to maintain, pay for or fix on your own. We give you the ad products and back-shop support. You recruit the sponsors and cash the checks from local supporters and businesses.
We supply every tool you need to thrive as a local journalism entrepreneur:
- a robust, reliable content management system, optimized for SEO with powerful user-content tools
- a user-driven events calendar, neighbors content, classifieds and business posts
- partner content and automated press releases to supplement your coverage
- a commission-based local ad system with back-shop sales support
- a community-centric donor support platform
- a newsletter and news alert email system
- awesome news/social discovery tools like Dataminr and Crowdtangle
- product, sales and editorial training, and a dedicated company liaison
Experience covering local news required. Familiarity with marketing or sales is a plus. The best candidates have strong civic and business-community connections and are passionate about fulfilling their community’s need for local news.