Please note that our office is currently closed due to the global pandemic but we continue to provide our services remotely. For all 2021 internships, we will be working remotely until further notice.
The Rian Immigrant Center is seeking a motivated and enthusiastic Education Services Program Intern for the fall. The Education Services Program Internship role offers a wonderful opportunity for someone interested in empowering immigrants and refugees through education, and in becoming part of a team dedicated to helping immigrants integrate smoothly into their new communities. This is an exciting chance for someone to make a positive difference in the lives of many immigrants, learn new organizational and communication skills, and gain a deeper appreciation for a diverse range of cultures and viewpoints.
- Assist in empowering adult immigrants and refugees through ESOL classes, computer classes, citizenship tutoring, and career development tutoring.
- Gain experience as part of a small and supportive Education Services team in a non-profit setting, where you will be given significant responsibility, while receiving on-the-job training and support.
- Make a positive difference in the lives of immigrants and refugees!
This is an unpaid internship, but we are happy to assist with any requirements that would qualify an eligible intern for academic credit.
10-18 hours per week, between Monday and Friday. Interns would ideally be available during one of these two time slots to assist with virtual ESOL classes and ESOL conversation groups:
9 a.m. – 2 p.m. (start and end times adjustable)
2 p.m. – 8 p.m. (start time adjustable)
September 2021 – December 2021 – Start and end date are adjustable as needed.
- Setting and reflecting on professional and personal learning goals for your internship
- Assisting adult immigrant and refugee students in English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) classes on various topics (classes are all virtual at this time due to the COVID-19 pandemic)
- Helping ESOL instructors with tech issues with virtual platforms used currently for online teaching (currently we are using Zoom/RingCentral, WhatsApp and Google classroom). This involves assisting the instructor in working out any kinks with the platform, and also working with some students who need support in getting used to remote learning and these new technologies.
- Providing career coaching to students through Rian’s Individual Achievement Program (IAP)
- Hosting online ESOL conversation groups and/or ESOL office hours
- Assisting in the implementation of a laptop loaning program; providing computers to ESOL students
- Assessing ESOL students’ measurable skill gains at the beginning and end of the semester via the TABE CLAS-E Online test
- Calling current and potential students; data entry and intake assessments
- Other data entry as needed
- Attending monthly all-staff meetings (schedule permitting)
- Attending weekly Education Services program meetings; taking notes
- Attending weekly Anti-Racist Working Group Meetings (schedule permitting)
- Various administrative tasks as assigned by Director of Education Services
- Proficiency with online education platforms, such as Zoom and Google Classroom (or the ability to learn and be able to assist instructors and students as issues arise)
- Familiarity with Google apps — Drive, Sheets, Docs, Calendar, etc.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Data entry experience, preferred
- Experience with immigrant/refugee population, preferred
- Bilingual, or multilingual, preferred
- Salesforce experience, preferred
- Experience traveling/studying/living/working outside of the US, preferred
REPORTS TO: Director of Education
The Rian Immigrant Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages candidates of diverse backgrounds and language proficiencies to apply. Interns are NOT required to be native English language speakers.