Reports to: Senior Director, Employment Policy
Staff reporting to this position: None
Department: Inclusive Growth
Position classification: Exempt, full time
Minimum compensation: $52,000/$55,000
Work site: Hybrid (on-site two days per week, Washington, D.C., office)
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Research Assistant or Research Associate on the Inclusive Economy team that sits within the Inclusive Growth department. The position will support work on policy topics across American Progress, primarily those related to labor, worker power, and workforce in the context of building an economy that works for all.
The successful candidate will be guided by American Progress’ mission to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country. The Research Assistant or Research Associate will join a committed group of colleagues with extensive research expertise to strengthen American Progress’ policy and advocacy work in support of American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Building an economy for all
- Restoring social trust in democracy
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Strengthening health
This position calls for a highly organized, detail-oriented, and responsible individual on whom policy staff can rely to support high-quality research, including qualitative and quantitative analysis, and assist in product development, from initial scoping to final publication. The ideal candidate will have excellent research and organizational skills and pay careful attention to details, deadlines, and follow-up communications. They will also be intellectually curious with a strong desire to find answers to challenging research questions and have the ability to multitask. Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact well with high-level policy professionals, both internally and externally, are essential. This position will report to the Senior Director of Employment Policy on the Inclusive Economy team but at a future point may be supervised by senior staff on the Higher Education team within the Education department.
- Support research on key policy areas, including strategies to build power for workers, train workers, and ensure government spending leads to good jobs for workers, as well as a willingness to work in support of the broader goals of the Inclusive Growth and Education departments.
- Read and summarize existing research, review state and federal legislation and regulations, analyze data sets, and track and monitor policy developments.
- Support the writing and editing of accessible op-eds, columns, issue briefs, reports, rapid-response statements, and memos.
- Assist in coalition and advocacy efforts, including by helping to coordinate and plan public and private meetings and events.
- Support the development, implementation, management, production, and distribution of products.
- Perform other duties as assigned, including administrative tasks.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent experience, plus one to two years of relevant professional experience for the Research Assistant role and two to four years for the Research Associate role.
- Ability to conduct quantitative and qualitative research with senior staff oversight.
- Strong writing and editing skills, with high standards for accuracy.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to balance multiple projects at once.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well on a team.
- Intellectual curiosity.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Interest in and background knowledge of economic issues, including labor and employment issues.
- Training or experience in one or more commonly used statistical software packages—such as SAS, Stata, R, or Python—is a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook is required.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70. The Research Assistant position has a minimum salary of $52,000, and the Research Associate has a minimum salary of $55,000.
American Progress’ hybrid work policy is posted on our Jobs page. Please visit this page for updates. Any changes to this policy will also be communicated at the time of hire.