The Canton Conservation Commission is a seven-member board of volunteers whose purview is to protect the ecological integrity of Canton’s wetlands and surrounding landscape. The Commission is responsible for implementing and enforcing the Wetlands Protection Act (M.G.L. Chapter 131, Section 40) and its Regulations (310 CMR 10.00), the Canton Wetland Bylaw (Article XV) and Regulations, and the Canton Stormwater Bylaw (Article XXI) and Regulations. The Commission also owns and manages over 400 acres of open space for conservation purposes.
Description of Work
Objective: The Conservation Intern will be responsible for assisting Canton Conservation Commission in researching and creating an inventory of Commission –owned parcels including possible visits to registry of deeds and town hall. Work will include making site maps using GIS and mapping trails and site resources using GPS.
Location: Conservation Department, 79 Pleasant Street, Canton MA
Time Frame: June – August 2021
Hours: 10 hours per week
Primary Responsibilities (including, but not limited to):
- Create maps of each parcel using Geographic Information System data layers
- Must be currently enrolled at a college or university with coursework in environmental studies and/or geography or a recent graduate.
- Must have excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Geographic Information Systems (ArcMap 10.4.1 for Desktop) and Global Positioning Systems
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Interest and expertise in conservation and protected area management a plus
Compensation: This is an unpaid internship. Students are encouraged to apply for academic credits and/or stipends from their respective institutions.
Reports to: Conservation Agent, Conservation Department, 79 Pleasant Street, Canton, MA; Phone: 781-821-5035; E-mail: email@example.com; website: www.town.canton.ma.us/335/Conservation-Commission
Application Process: Send Cover letter, resume, and transcript(s) by May 10, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org.