Teacher/Counselor Paid Internship (Non-Profit/Summer/Virtual)
Yleana Leadership Foundation
The Yleana Leadership Foundation, a 501(c)(3) registered non-profit, is seeking Teacher/Counselors for its residential summer academies. Our summer program, the Yleana Leadership Academy (YLA), serves the Foundation’s mission of creating exceptional educational experiences for young people of all income-levels and preparing our students for success as people and professionals, while decreasing the opportunity gap.
The Yleana Leadership Academy takes pride in serving rising high school seniors, the majority of whom are low-income first generation students of color from underserved urban areas. To get a feel for the YLA experience, check out this video: https://youtu.be/_yi3UCFoUuE.
Our staff are people who are constantly generating new and better ways to do things, drawing on what they have seen, read, and experienced, who replace “I can’t do that” with “Let’s make it happen.” We prefer instructors who can improvise, who are creative, who approach problems in unexpected ways, and who generally understand how to communicate the test to diverse groups of students.
Since 2016, our average score improvement in a 3-week period topped out at 200 points on the SAT® exam. We want your help to make that number even higher.
In 2021, we will be hosting the Yleana Leadership Academy entirely online. Teacher/counselors will teach classes and facilitate programs via Zoom.
What you’ll be doing:
- Lead classes of 6-10 students on Critical Reading, Writing, and Math according to set strategies
- Facilitate open, small-group discussions on topics such as race, class, and gender as part of our Issues curriculum
- Engage students in breakout sessions during our Design Thinking/Entrepreneurship class – which culminates in a camp-wide Shark Tank competition
- Lead students in after-class programs, games, and activities
- Other responsibilities as needed
The Teacher/Counselor intern will serve as a teacher and a camp counselor. If you have the brain of a scholar and the heart of a camp counselor, this is the job for you.
We’d love to hear from you if you:
- Are currently enrolled in an undergraduate program (required) or have a BA/BS
- Are able to achieve a minimum score of 670 verbal/670 math on internal hiring assessment (required)
- Have prior tutoring/teaching experience (highly preferred)
- Have prior camp experience (highly preferred)
- Are an outstanding teammate
- Quickly adapt to unforeseen problems
- Love serving as a mentor/role model to diverse high school students
- Exude empathy, patience, and compassion for our students
- Are detail oriented and results-driven
- Can relate to our students, who are from historically marginalized communities and often the first in their families to go to college
- Are highly motivated to help our students succeed in graduating high school and matriculating to college
Stipends for summer 2021 range from $2,000-4,500. These are determined and offered based on:
- Degrees and/or current year in school
- Prior camp, teaching and/or tutoring experience
Dates & Times
Camp will run from June 14 to August 7, 2021 (this includes training); staff must be available for the entire time. All dates are here:
- Training: June 14 – July 9
- Approx. times: 9:30 am – 3:30 pm Eastern
- All staff off: July 2 – 5
- Camp: July 10 – August 7
- Weekdays: 9:30 am – 3:30 pm EDT (with breaks)
- Each teacher will lead four class blocks each day: Reading, Writing, Math, and the floating block (issues, design thinking, or enrichment)
- Saturdays: afternoon programming approximately 2pm – 4pm
- Follow-up program (optional): August 17, 19, 24, 26
- Times: 9:30 am – 3:30 pm EDT (with breaks)
- We will prioritize your application if you are available to teach at our Follow-up Program after the summer program. Pay is $20/hour, and is in addition to the base stipend.
Read our Covid-19 policy here. https://yleana.org/covid19-policy
To apply, please fill out our hiring form here: http://bit.ly/basicinfo2021
The next priority application deadline is May 15, 2021. We hire on a rolling basis, so the earlier you apply, the better.
Diversity and equal opportunity are at the core of Yleana and our mission. We are committed to building a team that reflects the world. People who identify as members of historically underrepresented groups are highly encouraged to apply.