OPINION – RANKING STUDY SPOTS ON CAMPUS – Peer Intern Aidan Hallerman Shares his Thoughts

Midterms are here, which means study space is at a premium.  Peer Advising Intern Aidan Hallerman shares his opinion of the best and worst study spots on campus.

As someone who detests doing work in his own room, I have spent most of my time at UMass on a journey to find the best possible area on campus to do work on a day-to-day basis. For semesters, I have been compiling qualitative data, polling my friends, and testing my findings personally. Now, I can finally – with a small sliver of authority and personal bias – establish a proper ranking of the best spots to work. The criteria for my assessment is 1) Noise Availability of Seating, 3) Risk of Distraction, and 4) Accommodations.

1. ANY DINING HALL

You know the type; a fellow academic sitting in Worcester Dining Commons at a table of their own, laptop wide open, and a finished plate of food next to them. Word of advice; please do not be this person. Not that this plague of the mind is limited to just Worcester – in each dining hall, people attempt to do work. Please do not be one of them. My singular experience doing this – at Berk, no less – brought enough shame, ire, and general fear that I never did it again.

• Noise – The worst place to do anything
  • Availability of Seating – Never any seats to eat, let alone work.
  • Risk of Distraction – The most distracted someone can be at UMass; you will see someone you know, and work will then become obsolete.
  • Accommodations – While comfortable, it’s not exactly work cohesive. Tables have limited room and a lack of space to spread out usually.
  1. OUTSIDE ANY OF THE BUILDINGS NEAR CAMPUS CENTER

While I love the weather as much as the next guy, there’s a massive problem with studying outside – specifically near the campus center – even when there’s no rain, wind, or raging snow storm. Even in ideal conditions, studying outside near the hustling hub of UMass’ core has its issues. First; tour groups. The large amount of foot traffic in this area makes it near impossible to keep focused on your work. I’m not searching for the pin-drop silent spot as a student (I find that even more distracting, as it gets boring), but I’m also someone who doesn’t want to be disturbed while focused on some good ol’ H.W.

• Noise Level – Incredibly noisy, sometimes shockingly so.
  • Availability of Seating – There’s usually a table near ILC, Student Union, or outside the Hotel.
  • Risk of Distraction – Between the people, weather, events, etc., it’s impossible to keep your head down! Not to mention proximity to food.
  • Accommodations – Some spots are easier to sit on than others; the steps by the ILC do not scream ‘comfortable’.
  1. THE STUDENT UNION

This spot is a personal favorite of mine; I’m a sucker for its faux-stem outside and the way it makes any trip to study or work feel like I’m working at a cool startup in San Francisco. However, this is not the area to do quiet writing or any sort of reading; this building loses big on volume levels, the amount of clubs that meet within it, and the overall hustle and bustle within (tours frequently walk in and out, as do people from nearby Blue Wall).

• Noise Level – Depending on the location and time of day; I’ve found downstairs, behind the stairs is the best spot for quiet.
  • Availability of Seating – The flow of students in the ‘Stu’ is entirely dependent on the ebb of classes. On the hour, when the floodgates open, you’re destined to find a spot; anything near lunchtime… good luck.
  • Risk of Distraction – Depending on where your friends work or if there’s a group touring the facilities, it can be higher for some more than others.
  • Accommodations – While I’m not a fan of the massive wooden stairs, the reclining seats and couches are lovely to sink into as you are crushed by work.
  1. ISENBERG

I can hear the wails of my friends in ISM already. While there’s a general silence – generated by the academic pressure and general fear within the building – there is not a persistent aura of workability. Punctuated by loud, large class movements around the building, this is not the space for you if you have friends in Isenberg majors, or lack the ability to tune out your environment.

• Noise Level – Middling, as depending on the time of year, it gets dead silent, with finals forcing near mute levels of volume.
  • Availability of Seating – Not amazing; this is a relatively dense space with not much room for a group more than four people or anything. Lots of people want your seat, so it’s best not to move for the bathroom here.
  • Risk of Distraction – I’d say it’s high enough, if you’re a people watcher, to be cautious of how many classes (and their size) go on throughout the day in the building.
  • Accommodations – I have found (in my limited experience at Isenberg) that the tables most people use are way too small.
  1. SBS CAREER PATHWAYS CENTER (THOMPSON HALL)

It would be cliche to say my own college has the best spot to study, but it is close. I have done a bulk of my work this year in this space, and part of what I like so much about the first floor of Thompson – which spans from the waiting area to the Career Pathways Center – is the variety of seating choices they have. Never in your life have you seen as many benches, couches, desks, and armchairs! Plus, they have snacks (an undisputed, welcome caveat to any building).

• Noise Level – People on appointments and from offices produce appropriately low levels of noise, although it’s present.
  • Availability of Seating – While you may not always get the best seat, you can usually snag one without much work.
  • Risk of Distraction – Other than the elevator and people being whisked to appointments, the extraneous stimuli is minimum.
  • Accommodations – The space is homey, and the free food is an unrivaled selection of study-friendly snacks.
  1. SOUTH COLLEGE

I once unzipped my backpack in South College, and seven people turned around in their seats to stare at me (true story). This is the place you go if you want to work in complete silence; I make sure to type slower when I’m here, as well as limit my breaths to avoid disturbing my friends in HFA who almost always fill up the space. The vibe of the area is about as dark academia as Western Massachusetts will give you; the soaring ceiling and staircases give the impression you are in a very expensive library.

• Noise Level – I’ve yet to see another space that’s quite as CONSISTENTLY quiet.
  • Availability of Seating – Entirely up to luck. Usually most of the desirable spots with charger ports fill up quickly.
  • Risk of Distraction – Near zero. Work here is not for the faint of heart.
  • Accommodations – The space is nice, but if you get stuck at one of the tall desks, get ready to have back pain the following day.
  1. THE INTEGRATIVE LEARNING CENTER (ILC)

If you’re looking for a somewhat quiet space with multiple floors and spaces to do work, this is the best mix of all worker-types on campus. There’s areas where you are the only person there, and others where you are packed densely next to your fellow students. Unfortunately, the addition of the Cafe in the lowest level – while a convenient bonus at off hours – causes too many people to flood the ILC in the early morning and afternoon.

• Noise Level – Varies from what level you’re on, but in the general work area, it is a low level volume space. I’ve seen lots of groups work here.
  • Availability of Seating – Unless you want to sit by the stairs or in a given major-office, it’s near zero. More ‘creative’ options – like on the ground or a bench – usually have spots.
  • Risk of Distraction – Higher near the windows that face the Student Union or the street; a medium risk overall.
  • Accommodations – The space is modern and airy; if you don’t like sunlight, I recommend moving inward, towards the back of the building.
  1. THE W.E.B. DU BOIS LIBRARY

You knew this was coming. While I’m not a feverish library-lover, I do see the merits of its standing in this ranking. It is the quietest, offers the most amount of floors to do work on, has areas for groups to work, and has the prettiest view with the least amount of direct distractions. It also houses the most resources related to work.

• Noise Level – Most floors are completely silent. In the group study spaces and in the printing area, you can have a quiet-conversation (at your own risk).
  • Availability of Seating – With so many floors and seats overall, it’s impossible not to find a physical spot to set up camp here.
  • Risk of Distraction – Unless you’re on the entry-level, I’d say it’s as distraction-free as possible.
  • Accommodations – DuBois is DuBois; if you don’t like its dated furniture and elevator that takes two years to call, that’s too bad.
By Aidan Hallerman
Aidan Hallerman