Withdraw from a Class
The course withdrawal process is dependent upon the date you are trying to withdraw from a class.
- During the Add/Drop Period. You can drop classes on your own in SPIRE, with no record.
- After Add/Drop, but before the Last Day to Drop with a “W” (also known as the Midsemester Date): You can drop in SPIRE with a “W.”
- After the Last Day to Drop with a “W” (Midsemester Date), this becomes an exception to University policy and you must petition for a late withdrawal by conferring with an Academic Dean in your College.
- In SBS, Dean Jackie Brousseau-Pereira and Dean Vanessa Blais review late withdrawal petitions. You must follow this process to have your petition reviewed.
- Read the SBS Petition for Late Course Withdrawal form below to understand acceptable grounds for a later withdrawal.
- Complete the SBS Petition for Late Course Withdrawal form below.
- The form below will be automatically sent to the SBS Pathways Center where the Academic Deans are located.
- Call our office (413-577-1057) to schedule an appointment to discuss your petition with one of the SBS Academic Deans. If no one picked up, please be sure to leave a message that includes your name, phone number, and Spire ID number along with the reason you are calling.
- If you have supporting documentation for your petition, you can send it to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Documentation for late withdrawal.”
**The UMass Amherst Academic Calendar show dates for Add/Drop, the Last Day to Drop with a “W” (or Midsemester Date), and other important academic dates and deadlines.
** Dropping below full-time status (12 credits in Fall/Sping) could result in a reduction in your financial aid. Students on an international VISA or students with NCAA status must remain full-time.
** If you want to withdrawal from all your class, please visit the Dean of Students Office for information on the University Withdrawal process.