Withdraw from the University

There are five types of University Withdrawals and there is a brief description of each below. Please be advised that student health insurance through the University can only be extended should you take a health withdrawal.

Withdrawing from the University

End of Term Withdrawal

If a student is withdrawing from the University AFTER the current semester ends, but before the first day of classes for the following semester, complete an End of Semester Withdrawal via SPIRE. Simply stated, your grades from the previous semester remain and you will not enroll the following semester.

University Withdrawal – During a Semester

If a student determines it is in their personal, academic, or financial best interest to withdraw from the University between the first day of classes and the last day of finals students must complete a Withdrawal From the University form.

There are five types of Mid-Semester University Withdrawals: Personal, Health, Academic, Financial and Military/Active Duty.

The Dean of Students Office has the most up-to-date information on the University Withdrawal process:

If you would like to discuss your options with an SBS Academic Dean, we are here to support you!  Please contact us in the SBS Pathways Center, Thompson 128, 413-577-1057, sbsadvising@sbs.umass.edu. You can also schedule a meeting with Dean Kelly Gray via Navigate.