SBS in Boston Student Spotlight: UMass SBS Managerial Economics major Vanessa Tuy’23

Vanessa participated in the spring 2022 semester of SBS in Boston as a junior, and interned with Element Productions, a full-service video production and post production company creating content for distribution across all media platforms.  Element is one of our internship sites that is led by a UMass alum.  Vanessa has continued interning for Element through the summer and fall of 2022.  Here’s what she has to say about her experience:

“My SBS in Boston experience provided me with guidance towards my future career. I gained insight on the transition from college into the real world and it essentially helped prepare me for my next journey in life. From resume building, lessons on networking, and help with public speaking, I believe this experience benefited me in numerous ways. With the lending hands of my advisors in the program, I was able to intern for an amazing video production service company known as ELEMENT. As a production assistant, I carry the responsibility of creating audits for a variety of companies, preparing production books for upcoming shoots, and analyzing different social media platforms. Additionally, the Mount Ida campus allows you to delve into a new community and gain memorable experiences. It’s an amazing opportunity to meet new friends, live out the Boston lifestyle, and explore a different side of UMass. I am extremely grateful for the support that was provided to me along the way and I highly recommend participating in this program.”

If you are interested in learning more about how you can apply to spend an impactful spring semester as part of the SBS in Boston program, please join us for an info session, attend drop-in hours, or schedule an appointment via Handshake.

By Carol Sharick
Carol Sharick Director of Career and Professional Development for Undergraduates, College of Social and Behavioral Sciences