The Fall 2024 SBS in DC Semester Program application opens on Handshake from November 27th and will remain open until January 16th! Drop-in hours offered until the end of the semester!
We are excited to share information about the application requirements for the SBS in DC Semester Program for Fall 2024—specifically the prompt for the personal statement. We are sharing this in advance of the application opening so that you can begin to prepare your personal statement and benefit from the help of our drop-in hours to fine tune your statement before you submit it.
- Drop-in hours will happen in Thompson 128 on Mondays from 12:00pm-2:00pm and Thursdays from 11:30am-1:30pm between November 6th and December 7th. Students who have previously participated in the SBS in DC program will be on hand to help with your personal statements and answer other questions you have about the application or the program.
- If you cannot make it to drop-in hours, you can also book an appointment with Rebecca Bell via Handshake or reach out to her at RLBell@umass.edu.
- Personal Statement: Tell us why you are interested in the SBS in DC Semester program, and what it would mean for you to be a part of the program. Be reflective, tell your story. Explain how being a part of this program fits in with your professional and personal goals and why it is an opportunity that will make a difference in your life. What do you hope to get out of the experience? (Please try to keep your statement approximately 500-700 words—2-3 pages—double spaced.)
Additional Materials: You will also need to submit the following documents when the application opens.
- Transcript (Unofficial is acceptable)
- Writing Sample: no more than 3 pages, can be an excerpt from a longer paper from a relevant class. It should be a practical piece that demonstrates your ability to write concisely and clearly.
Applications open November 27th – January 16th in Handshake. Just search SBS in DC under the Jobs tab in Handshake!